[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Feb 28 12:40:07 CST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 01:23:14PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>I believe this is a known bug in Ubuntu 9.10 that affects a range if
>nVidia, Radeon and Intel graphics chipsets.  It actually destroyed the
>screen on one of our laptops by strobing the backlight on and off until
>it failed.

Ouch.

>If you have ssh access to the box, you might try disabling framebuffer
>console.  I can't guarantee anything, but it may help.

That sounds like a good idea.

sudo stop gdm
(or if you used kdm) sudo stop kdm

UBUNTU now uses "start" and "stop" commands instead of
	/etc/init.d/xxxx start/stop

>Personally, I just don't use Ubuntu.  It's too frustrating to beat it
>into submission every time I want to do something NOT precisely the way
>the rest of the Ubuntu herd does it.  Ubuntu's constant "DON'T TOUCH
>THAT, you USER!!!" makes me want to take a heavy steel ruler to the
>knuckles of the Ubuntu developers.

I'm begining to feel that way. 9.04 did not work with IDE optical drives. :-(

I don't want to start a distro war, but is there anything that is better?

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.