[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Feb 28 12:23:14 CST 2010

On 02/28/10 13:05, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> I was sorting of hoping that someone may be familiar with this.
>
> I have a new Atom motherboard that uses the GMA 3150 graphics.
>
> Under Ubuntu 9.04, I could only seem to get this working in VESA mode.
>
> I tried upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10 (both by upgrading that disk, and also
> trying a disk with a clean install) and now what I get is a blank screen
> after the works Starting up.  If I choose rescue mode, I see a little
> text, then it turns blank faster (way less than a second) than I can
> recognize what I'm seeing.
>
> I tried in grub adding to the rescue mode kernel line the flag vga=264
> to try to force text mode, but that just makes in blank from the
> beginning.
>
> Any suggestions?

I believe this is a known bug in Ubuntu 9.10 that affects a range if
nVidia, Radeon and Intel graphics chipsets.  It actually destroyed the
screen on one of our laptops by strobing the backlight on and off until
it failed.

If you have ssh access to the box, you might try disabling framebuffer
console.  I can't guarantee anything, but it may help.

Personally, I just don't use Ubuntu.  It's too frustrating to beat it
into submission every time I want to do something NOT precisely the way
the rest of the Ubuntu herd does it.  Ubuntu's constant "DON'T TOUCH
THAT, you USER!!!" makes me want to take a heavy steel ruler to the
knuckles of the Ubuntu developers.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.