[geeks] Solaris SMF remote dependencies?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Dec 14 08:57:35 CST 2010

On 12/14/10 08:52, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Hey folks,
> A question for anyone who's dug into it more deeply than I have.  I know
> a service manifest can contain dependencies such as network physical
> layer is set up, X local service is running, Y local filesystem is
> mounted.  Does anyone know if it's possible to create a remote
> dependency such that service A on host X cannot start until service B on
> host Y is running?

Note:  I came up with a workaround that puts the cross-host check in the
method script, but it'd be much cleaner to do it within SMF proper.

Also, I had an old version of my SMF that included a dependency on local
mysql, and holy (*&&#!, I had hell's own game getting rid of it.  I
eventually found I had to svccfg delete -f svc:/network/bacula, svccfg
-s svc:/network/bacula delprop mysql, then svccfg import
/var/svc/manifest/network/bacula.xml again.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.