[geeks] Solaris SMF remote dependencies?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Dec 14 07:52:59 CST 2010

Hey folks,
A question for anyone who's dug into it more deeply than I have.  I know
a service manifest can contain dependencies such as network physical
layer is set up, X local service is running, Y local filesystem is
mounted.  Does anyone know if it's possible to create a remote
dependency such that service A on host X cannot start until service B on
host Y is running?

(Specific situation, if anyone's interested:  In this case, service A is
Bacula, and service B is MySQL.  Bacula is distributed across two hosts:
 the Director and the disk storage daemon on babylon4, the catalog DB
and the tape storage daemon on epsilon3.  I want to make sure that the
Bacula director is not started on babylon4 until MySQL and the tape SD
are up on epsilon3.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.