[geeks] "Oracle SPARC Supercluster"

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 10:46:20 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
wrote:

>  uptime
>  11:28am  up 627 day(s), 23:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.27, 0.29, 0.32
>
> And the only reason it got rebooted was due to UPS power failure.

I got dinged for a system having 'too much' uptime a few months ago.

Power failed in a data center.  When the system came back up parts of
the hosted application didn't work.  There were production problems:
the application owner had fiddled with some settings that required a
service restart, which they never did.

When it all shook out I was told - in so many words - by my bosses
boss that 'two years' was too much uptime and I was to schedule
regular restarts of that host and it's application.

--
Brian Dunbar
Geidus

"Display some adaptability"