[geeks] "Oracle SPARC Supercluster"

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Dec 10 10:30:12 CST 2010

On 12/10/2010 10:52 AM, mail at catsnest.co.uk wrote:
>> FWIW the last generation of Sun server hardware (AMD64, Xeons) did not
>> impress me half so much as the latest HP stuff I have seen.
>>

> /me shudders 'Sun HW and x86 ' What is it all about?
> The point of Sun HW was Reliable stable easy to manage...
>
> Eg  use to manage E450's with 1000+ days uptime and 80% + cpu usage
> constantly... they just keep chucging along no problem (with the _odd_
> disk change)
>
> Again Sun x86 HW, _shudder_

The x64 (64bit x86) Solaris implementation, given hardware it works on,
is excellent.  The Solaris VM subsystem is excellent and beats Linux in
my experience quite handily.  I am not a fanboy however; and I do have a
v240 I am trying to figure out something to do with.

e.g. on a 16GB dual-Opteron with 500+ processes and 1600+lwps,

 uptime
 11:28am  up 627 day(s), 23:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.27, 0.29, 0.32

And the only reason it got rebooted was due to UPS power failure.

Cordially

Patrick