[geeks] FS dual-Opteron or Xeon, 1U rackmount systems

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Wed Dec 1 15:54:45 CST 2010

 I have a few systems coming out of the datacenter.  They are very
clean, have only been in a Level3 datacenter for the last 3-4 years, and
work fine.

All of them run Solaris 10 just fine, even the early releases where Sun
was not using grub as the bootloader.

I will ship, however, note that due to dimensions of the boxes I have,
it may be costly (they will use the dimensional weight instead of actual
weight).

IBM x325 (eserver 325), with original IBM rack rails, $95
dual-Opteron 246
4GB RAM
dual Broadcom gigabit ethernet ports
2x PCIX slots
onboard LSI 1030 with RAID1
36GB 10K rpm drive in drive caddy (1 caddy only)
see:  http://www.amdboard.com/ibm_eserver_325_specifications.html -
though it has 8 DIMM slots not 6 I believe

IBM x336, with original IBM rack rails, $125
machine type 8837-D1U
dual Xeon dual core (early dual core like Paxville)
onboard LSI with RAID1
1 power supply (get a second on eBay for about $15-25 to make it redundant)
6GB RAM (6x1GB) with 2 DIMM slots free
2x 36GB in IBM drive caddy's

Sun V20z, inner but no outer rails, $65 (have 2+ of these)
dual Opteron 248
2x 36GB
onboard LSI RAID1
4GB RAM

Of the 3, the IBMs are quieter than the Suns, which sound like a vacuum
cleaner.

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net