[geeks] booting Opensolaris from network...

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 04:52:39 CDT 2009

Hi geeks,

I'm currently diving in Opensolaris. I got a few ultra10 machines from
a collegue (of which one actually boots) and I'm trying to install
opensolaris on it. ATM this seems only possible over the netork so I
did as explained here:
http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/2009.06/AIinstall/simple.html
which involved installing the x86 version of opensolaris on a VMWare
Fusion (=macintosh product) and using installadm-tools.

Dhcp works from the solaris vm - I verified with a physical linux box.
However these errors show up at the OBP (it's version 3.25) when I do
"boot net:dhcp" (and after increasing the verbosity level with
diag-switch? true
diag-level max
):

Boot device: /pci at 1f,0/pci1,1/network at 1,1:dhcp B  File and args: -r
Using Onboard Transciever - Link Up.
Retrying ... Check TFTP server and network setup.

(last message keeps repeating)

Looking at how installadm configured the dhcp server, the bootfile is
http://<ip>:5555/cgi-bin/wanboot-cgi

So I'm slightly confused since last time I checked, http and tftp were
still distinct protocols :-)
I'd like to figure out where it goes wrong here - is it supposed to
download a kernel over tftp, or not?
Is the parameter for BootFile correct?

Thank you.

--
Frank Van Damme

I think I've got the hang of it now: B exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^,
F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye,
stop, end, F3, ~., ^]c, +++ ATH, disconnect, halt, B abort, B hangup,
PF4, F20, ^X^X, :D::D, KJOB, F14-f-e, F8-e, B kill -1 $$, B shutdown,
init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ...
... B "Are you sure?" B ... B  YES B  ... B  Phew ... B  I'm out