[geeks] anyone know about this? 72-core, 48GB computer?

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Oct 13 14:26:58 CDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 02:36:58PM -0400, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>After talking to people who remembered the details better, I missed a
>detail.  One of their VCs went bankrupt, and didn't have additional
>money for them, at which point the others pulled out.

There's a timing question I still have. From what I read, it was:

1. CEO/major technology player leaves.
2. VC folds, stops part of the funding.
3. Other VC's decide not to fill in the difference or downsize and pull out.
4. Company outsources new funding search, which fails.

He's posted various things to various blogs, but the timing I remember is:

He left around the end December 2008 /beginning of January 2009.

First VC folds around February, 2009.

All VC's gone, no new ones (and third party search firm blamed) in May 2009.

I really can't tell from what is published on the web, and I'm not sure it
matters what happened, except that IMHO (and it is an opinion) that no one is
going to fund a company if both the CEO and a major technology player leaves.

One or the other, maybe depending upon how well they think the company will
survive. Since he was both, you can't separate them.

In other times and places, the remaining VC's would have ramped up their funding
to get the company moving again, done another round of funding to get back their
money (and a small profit) and disappeared into the night.

In the US, in early 2009, they probably figured it was better to cut their
losses.

Geoff.