[geeks] SDHC reviews

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 13:07:07 CDT 2009

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> passing this on from another list - anyone here know?

Back in June when I bought my new digicam I was looking for the same
sort of info. The only places I had any sort of luck were a few of the
bigger digital camera review sites, and even then there wasn't a whole
lot that I found. I ended up getting a pair of Kingston 4GB class 4 cards.

On this subject, I remember reading a review of SD cards a few years ago
that included a torture test component. I forget what all they did, but
some of the tests included freezing them into ice cubes and then letting
them thaw, sticking them in a jar of peanut butter, soaking them in
soda, etc. I think they started off with more realistic situations
(dropping it in a glass of soda and quickly fishing it out, accidentally
running it through the laundry, repeated drops, etc) and once they got
done with that decided "okay, let's just go nuts and see if we can MAKE
these things fail. Only one card (made by ATP) was still readable when
they were completely done with it.