[geeks] Virtualization-supporting Celeron

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Mon Nov 23 16:23:27 CST 2009

>> These have been out for a little while, and I think it's Intel's
>> reaction
>> to their earlier stupidity in stripping out features in their low-end
>> processors unnecessarily, and AMD being more sane and leaving them in.
>
> I agree, but at $53-60, including fan/heatsink, that's a pretty good
> deal. Low-end AMD CPUs don't support virtualization,

The AMD Brisbane, Windsor, etc. cores all supported virtualization back
when Intel was reserving that for their high-end, and these days you can
pick up an AMD Sargas for $37, which I consider to be pretty low-end:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103698

> but they are used almost exclusively in 'netbook+' class laptops as far
> as I've seen.

If you're talking about netbooks/laptops, I haven't been paying much
attention to virtualization on those CPUs, so can't comment on them.

> If I can't decode the channels without a box, I need the box.

This is ATI's internal Cable Card decoder, and it's not a box:

http://www.cannonpc.com/productcart/pc/catalog/ATI_Digital_Cable_Tuner_Internal_-_Large.jpg

> Comcast allows each subscriber to have 3 free converter boxes,

They're not "free" so much as "zero-cost leased hardware" which the cable
company owns.  (You probably know this already, but I always like to make
that distinction since I have met many people confused over this point.)

> but I'm
> not sure if the free converters have any direct, hard-wired way to
> change channels... I got distracted before I found the answer.

The FCC-mandated way is Firewire, and your cable provider is obligated to
provide you a box that has a working Firewire port for that purpose if
they haven't unless they have a waiver from the FCC.  (Personally I didn't
try the whole Firewire route because I wasn't keen on recording two
channels at once by using two cable boxes.)

The specific FCC document you want to look for is:

TITLE 47 -- TELECOMMUNICATION
CHAPTER I -- FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION
SUBCHAPTER C -- BROADCAST RADIO SERVICES
PART 76 -- MULTICHANNEL VIDEO AND CABLE TELEVISION SERVICE
SUBPART K -- TECHNICAL STANDARDS

The exact relevant bit is:

(4) Cable operators shall:
(i) Effective April 1, 2004, upon request of a customer, replace any
leased high definition set-top box, which does not include a functional
IEEE 1394 interface, with one that includes a functional IEEE 1394
interface or upgrade the customer's set-top box by download or other means
to ensure that the IEEE 1394 interface is functional.
(ii) Effective July 1, 2005, include both a DVI or HDMI interface and an
IEEE 1394 interface on all high definition set-top boxes acquired by a
cable operator for distribution to customers.
(iii) Ensure that these cable operator-provided high definition set-top
boxes shall comply with ANSI/SCTE 26 2001 (formerly DVS 194): "Home
Digital Network Interface Specification with Copy Protection"
(incorporated by reference, see B' 76.602), with transmission of
bit-mapped graphics optional, and shall support the CEA-931-A: "Remote
Control Command Pass-through Standard for Home Networking" (incorporated
by reference, see B' 76.602), pass through control commands: tune
function, mute function, and restore volume function. In addition these
boxes shall support the power control commands (power on, power off, and
status inquiry) defined in A/VC Digital Interface Command Set General
Specification Version 4.0 (as referenced in ANSI/SCTE 26 2001 (formerly
DVS 194): "Home Digital Network Interface Specification with Copy
Protection" (incorporated by reference, see B' 76.602)).

> I had a TiVo, but I dumped it for the comcast DVR, it cost as much as
> TiVo but also replaced a cable box on the TV (cheaper solution), but I
> miss the TiVo interface.

TiVo re-instated the option of buying lifetime service for their devices,
and that is the only way I consider owning a TiVo - I will not pay monthly
fees for schedule updates.  (I've gone from TiVo series 1 to MythTV to
TiVo HD over the last 10 years, and only came back to TiVo once they
reinstated the lifetime service option.)

>> The FCC also mandated that consumers be allowed to buy cable boxes
>> themselves to own, however the cable companies have used their
>> existing
>> lock on the market to indirectly (or perhaps directly, and secretly)
>> put
>> pressure on cable box makers not to make any cable boxes available for
>> purchase by consumers.
>
> I will not hold my breath for that to happen.

You can join the class-action suit:

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/comcast-cable-box-class-action.html

>> You also have the Cable Card decoder option (Cable Card being a PCMCIA
>> card your rent from your cable company for anywhere from $1-$5 per
>> month
>> that has some unique decryption keys that your cable company records
>> and
>> then permits to decrypt the digital stream).  Cable Card *used* to
>> only be
>
> I have a cablecard-equipped TV, but it is a pain in the arse... But
> great when it works.

The CableCard TVs were first-gen product, and they don't support M-Card
(dual-tuner) cards, unlike TiVo series 3/HD, which is the only thing I
have experience with regarding CableCard (and TiVo did a great job - at
least I have no complaints).

> I'm not aware of any way to 'shove' a cablecard in a PC, or even
> emulate one. The only way I can get my hands on a cablecard is to have
> comcast roll a truck and install it...

There's the internal ATI CableCard decoder I linked to earlier, and then
there's the external USB box:

http://ati.amd.com/products/tvwonderdigital/index.html

I haven't looked into where to purchase them lately, but last I looked,
there were places... but since I have a TiVo HD, I've stopped paying close
attention.

Some cable providers will just ship you a CableCard for self-installation,
but the only ones I have experience with send their techs out to do the
installation (don't ask me why, not like it's difficult).

> You've given me some great pointers to follow-up on, thanks!

No problem.

- Nate