[geeks] Cheap diskless Intel NAS

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 12:25:36 CST 2009

I'm sending this from my iPhone, so some details are missing, but
Newegg has an Intel NAS that can swallow four SATA HDs, two eSATA
ports, and four(?) USB 2.0 ports. It has a Celeron 420 CPU, 512 Meg
RAM and a small (256 Meg) IDE Disk-on-module with a specialized build
of Linux on it. It was designed for MS WHS, but with USB keyboard and
mouse and a PCIe 1x video card, manny OS are possible.

The 4x drives are not hot-swap, they are hard-wired.

It sells for $149, a $70 discount, and includes free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859117003&T

According to reports it is reasonably fast, and the CPU and RAM are
upgradeable, but not quite sure how far you can go with the RAM & CPU,
but 2 gig and maybe a dual-core Celeron is possible (but I bet the new
dual core, virtualization-supporting celeron won't work.

Lionel