[geeks] The new IPC/LX, from Dell?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Nov 20 09:21:14 CST 2009

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
"
" On Nov 20, 2009, at 4:32 AM, adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
" wrote:
"
" > " From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
" > "
" > " []
" > "
" > " As I recall, IDE off-loaded much of the controller logic to the
" > host,
" > " to a much greater extent than SCSI devices but less than MFM
" > devices.
" >
" > wasn't it the other way around?  ide moved the isa bus [mfm
" > controller]
" > into the drive...
"
" As I recall, IDE was all about cheap drives, and reducing the silicon
" on the actual drive is how they did it.

mfm is already very simple...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_drive_electronics#History_and_terminology

that's pretty much how i recall it.  not mentioned was that back in
the early '80s, wd's wd-1000 was the canonical st-506 mfm hd controller
which ide was modelled on; it's what you would've found on controller
cards.  by modern standards, it wasn't much.

and cdc's disk operation ultimately ended up in seagate's hands.

" I *suspect* SCSI interfaces control the drives at a higher level,
" while IDE interfaces deal with the drive at a lower level. When I say
" interfaces I mean the 40 (IDE) or 50-68-80(SCSI) wires between the
" controller and the drive.

scsi is definitely at a much higher level than ide as originally
implemented.  improvement in ata intelligence has been largely by
adopting the scsi command set, in atapi.