[geeks] The illusion of Windows 7

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 04:41:07 CST 2009

On 1 Nov 2009, at 00:51, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I've wondered more than once whether there are MS deep-cover moles in
> the GNOME project.

I just think it (and KDE even more so) are projects run by a bunch of
clueless muppets who think they know better than highly trained GUI
architects how to make a GUI, and implement every suggestion they like
one sight. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to what
they change or why they change is and the result is a cockamamy
cluster of f****s of a UI system that's not only awkward to use at
times but also ungodly slow (in the case of KDE even more so) on less
than modest hardware. Some of  the UI inconstancy i've seen also makes
Apple's travesties in the field look minor.

> (Actually, that particular problem is less an Ubuntu one, than a
> networkmanager one.  I detest and despise networkmanager, and I want
> apply a clue-by-four to whatever drooling retard it was that thought
> it
> was a good idea to create a network management tool for Linux that can
> ONLY start up networking from a GUI.  I mean, even *Windows* isn't
> THAT
> stupid.)

On the subject of Ubuntu and NetworkManager only working via a GUI,
how in gods name does Ubuntu Server start the networking stack, given
it installs by default with no GUI?

--
Mark Benson

My Blog: