[geeks] Legal Corporate Music Servers

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Wed May 27 07:19:10 CDT 2009

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>> Honestly, I think the best approach is to plead ignorance, do what you
>>> want, and never, NEVER ask about RIAA licensing on a company email
>>> server - maintain plausable deniability. Don't prove you knew it was
>>> illegal.
>>>
>>> There is likely no legal way to do what you want (I suspect if
>>> pressed, the RIAA would find fault with a family server sharing music
>>> files among family members).
>> They still find fault with you copying a CD onto your iPod.
>
> The RIAA is the reason I don't buy music from RIAA labels any more.

Me either. Unfortunately it's hard to find music that's not, unless you
want to go to obscure groups that haven't made it yet. Not always bad,
and you get to look like a some kind of hipster if you do it right.

--
Rick Hamell
http://RickHamell.com

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]