[geeks] GSM coverage in southeastern PA.

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon May 25 23:47:18 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 02:53:24PM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
> She can use her quad band GSM phone with a prepaid T-Mobile or AT&T SIM,
> just like a person from the US would do if they were going to Europe.
> Can't speculate as to which would have better coverage for Philly,
> though.  T-Mobile's coverage map for the US is pretty detailed, and they
> have good roaming agreements.  AT&T probably has better coverage, though.

Thanks, the problem with that is the phone is SIM locked, and unlocking it
would cost more than a cheap phone. She got it as a package deal from the
carrier (Israel Orange).

Unlocked quad band phones are available here, but they sell for around
$200 for a cheap one, which does not make it worthwhile for a one week
trip. Unlocking her old one is around $30.

I was able to get a decent unlocked phone for around $50 but it's dual
European bands. (900/1800).

I could have gotten another really nice phone for "nothing" if I signed a 3 year
contract and bought in on my credit card. Then Orange would rebate me the
monthly payments. I just did not want to tie up so much credit for so long,
Israeli credit cards don't have the option to pay things bought on time
payments off.

Geoff.