[geeks] Cheap wireless APs

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Thu May 21 17:23:46 CDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 4:30 PM 5/21/09, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> You need a big house to need more than one access point...

I beg to differ with this one.  I've known several houses that you
couldn't get a wifi signal from one end to the other.  Mine in fact
(1952 ranch) has trouble getting signal to you from one corner to
another.  And it definitely won't reach to the garage even though
it's close.

It all depends on the house and the AP.  I tested mine with the
current Linksys WRT54GL, a Motorola W series that I've forgotten the
number of, as well as two Belkin models that I'm currently using for
a bridge between the house and the garage.  So far the Linksys is
providing good enough support but I'm going to have to move it to a
different location and use directional antennas to send it down the
center line of the house.

I do have to admit though that the Cisco Aironet 1200AG I just set up
at work would probably blow most of these away AND give me things
like a guest wireless and so forth.  Though that's outside of the
cheap realm...
--
Mike

In the end the journey only matters if you've helped someone along
the way.