[geeks] Cheap wireless APs

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu May 21 17:06:39 CDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 17:30 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> You need a big house to need more than one access point...

The number one issue for me in both home/small office and larger
networks was obstruction, not the size of the area to be covered.

I've had to install a second or even third AP even in small->medium
houses and apartments.

I find most APs can't penetrate even drywall sandwiches very well.

I have yet to try the N type devices to see if they are any better.
The boxes claim they are but I've yet to see it myself.  There is also
the issue of having to replace a lot of wireless client hardware to
make use of them, unless they somehow help even older tech.