[geeks] SGI had an Atom system "on the drawing table"

Jody Stephens jodys at helluin.org
Thu May 21 13:12:15 CDT 2009

Excerpts from Lionel Peterson's message of Thu May 21 11:27:58 -0600 2009:
> I'm not so sure, I think there are/were many, many Atom CPUs on a
> board, implying a non-Ethernet fabric...

Oops, I was confusing that with a Rackable machine. This is a SGI
design. Looking at some of the photos and other descriptions I'm
seeing the front panel has a bunch of RJ45 ports and there is a lot
"aggregrate" numbers which doesn't really imply a memory
interconnect. I have a feeling this is just a *really* dense primitive
blade enclosure.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the money is in
clusters, not exotic interconnects and expensive supercomputers.