[geeks] Macbook probably KIA, now what?

John Francini francini at mac.com
Mon May 18 14:24:54 CDT 2009

Macs will boot from disks plugged into either the USB or FireWire
ports.  So if you happen to have a disk in an external enclosure, you
can connect that up, pop in the install DVD, and see if you can
install/restore to the external drive. That will verify that (a) the
DVD/CD drive is OK, and (b) most all of the electronics are OK.

If you hold down the Option key then press Power (and wait while
holding Option down for several seconds), you'll boot to a set of
icons that represent bootable devices.  If the DVD drive shows up as a
bootable icon, you should be OK.

john