[geeks] iPhone interface

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 17 14:08:16 CDT 2009

On May 16, 2009, at 13:40 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> The real challenge is this: if I type, say, an abbreviation the
> dictionary doesn't know, when I finish typing it the 'suggestion'
> becomes a correction and what I just typed gets replaced as soon as
> I hit the spacebar.  For example, if I type ESX my phone used to
> 'correct' it to ESP. I have to watch for iPhone typos... It does
> learn over time, but if you have a large vocabulary it will likely
> take a while...

Solution:

	Me send text you.
	Me want meet you have beer.
	Where you drink?

:)

Those are the kinds of messages I get from my mates with various
devices now, slightly exaggerated.  Some of them just gave up on input
and, um... keep it simple.

It's funny how things have gone.  In the 70s and 80s low speed lines
created the earliest "true" versions of modem-talk, abbreviations
actually being necessary, and some based on command shells and editors.

Then everything got fast and there was a storm of almost-English.

Then the K1dz thought it was cool to talk like the "old hax0rs" in the
80s, and started a horrible and insulting imitation, and leet speak
was born.

Now it's combined with PDA keyboard limits and I rarely know where to
go when people are meeting up any more.  We tend to arrive in the same
general area of a city, but that's about it.

:)