[geeks] addictions of ink and paper

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun May 17 02:05:20 CDT 2009

Regarding the recent confessions of notebook and pen addictions...

***

http://www.levenger.com

***

Books-A-Million: they sell a journal with a rough denim-ish cover that
is functionally as good as a Moleskine or other nice notebook, but
they are quite a bit cheaper.

The paper is acid free according to the manager, and they feel decent
and lay flat.

I use them for system administration notebooks and other records as
well as random writing because they are cheap enough for permanent
records on things where you really do not want or cannot afford to
spend $12 per notebook.

I think I paid $8 for the last few I got.

***

Borders appears to have stopped carrying the Picadilly line of
notebooks, which is a shame because they were decent but not high
priced.

***

Some questions too:

My Lamy fountain pen writes nicely, but if I don't open it at least
weekly and write, it clogs up.

My old fountain pen, brand and ink unknown, would sit for a month
without clogging.

Is this normal or is it possible that better ink would help?

When I say clogged, I mean it requires extensive wetting and/or a full
clean to get it working again.

I use Lamy ink, but I'm not really impressed and would like some
darker and more vivid.