[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu May 14 19:02:27 CDT 2009

" From: "Jonathan C. Patschke" <jp at celestrion.net>
"
" SUVs and trucks aren't inherently dangerous in the hands of a motorist who
" pays attention.  Realize that you're driving nearly three tons of metal
" down the road at 70 miles/hour and adjust your following distance to
" account for the amount of energy those front brakes have to dissipate.

'a motorist who pays attention' is the key phrase here.  and suv
drivers now top the iihs list of accident-prone.  it used to be volvo
drivers who felt they could safely indulge in the riskiest behaviors,
but suv drivers apparently get so habituated to disregarding cars in
their way that they feel they can even take 18-wheelers on - ask a
state patrolman or a long-haul trucker about his experiences.  i've
heard quite a few.

" >> (3) 4-wheel drive for bad road conditions.
" >
" > I've seen plenty of SUV drivers believe their 4-wheel drive meant they
" > could brake as well as they could accelerate in bad road conditions and
" > I've witnessed flips, skids, and spins right off highways by many SUV
" > owners.  More mass is not always a good thing.
"
" No, if anything, the higher center-of-mass and (especially in the case of
" a truck) weight distribution means you can't go nearly as fast as a little
" low-to-the-ground all-wheel-drive Subaru, BMW, or Volvo.  If I lived
" somewhere that left me concerned with more than hydroplaning, my truck
" would become a second vehicle during the winter.

no, you can't go as fast, but --

i recall reading a traffic study done decades ago - about '70 iirc -
for iirc the il dot, that expected to verify the speed-related design
rules used for a just-completed section of interstate - radius and
banking of curves, lead-in segments, on ramps, etc.  they used a
variety of vehicles from sports cars to full-size vans [speedometers
disconnected] and a variety of drivers, and they expected to see a
nice bell curve centered around their intended speed limit.

they didn't get that.  what they got was a nice correlation of speed
to eyes off the ground.  the full-size vans tended towards the top of
the speed results and the sports cars tended towards the bottom,
regardless of who was driving.

suvs put the driver high off the ground.  they will unconsciously try
to go faster.  i'd guess it's a parallax efect.