[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 14:40:51 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On May 13, 2009, at 5:11 PM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> wrote:
>
>  On May 13, 2009, at 14:21 , Dan Sikorski wrote:
>>

>>  If i had a large family, i could see it.  I regularly put quite a bit of
>>> cargo in my SUV.  Computers, water softener salt, appliances, helping a
>>> friend or family member move, just to name the uses that I have had in the
>>> last three months.  Minivans have as much space, but their cargo capacity by
>>> weight is very poor.  I moved to and from college several times in a
>>> minivan, and it was not pretty.
>>>

>> A proper van with a lowered truck frame and a rear drive would do your job
>> fine, and without the waste and overweight of an SUV.
>>
>> An SUV was designed for hybrid and off-road use, and 99% of SUV owners
>> never use them for that, so they are mostly wasted.
>>
>> America fell in love with the SUV for several reasons:
>>
>> - want over reason
>> - a dearth of wagons and hatchbacks in the market, which do the job far
>> better
>> - conversion of real vans into front-engined "somethings" that lacked the
>> ability
>>  of past vans and made people think they needed an SUV
>>
>> An SUV is actually a pretty poor cargo vehicle compared to the real vans,
>> hatches, and wagons unless you really do go off-road.
>>
>> They might look cooler to some, but be honest: almost no one who owns one
>> really needs one.
>>
>> About the only pragmatic feature they have for urban cargo is the height
>> which can be easier for _some_ types of cargo.
>>

> Being a 6' 7" driver, with two kids that are working hard to outgrow me and
> a wife, I'm quite happy with my Suburban, but then again my commute is 5
> miles each way..
>
> That I got it a year ago at 0% interest over 5 years made it happen for me.
>
> Lionel

You left out Safety as a reason for a full-sized SUV.
(1) bigger engine--faster escapes (I use to live in Memphis and on two
separate ocassions, the ability to distance myself from gang members was a
big safety plus!  I try to purchase the "big engine" option on all my
vehicles.)
(2) more margin for error in certain types of collisions.
(3) 4-wheel drive for bad road conditions.

also, as a Field Engineer, the protect cargo area with all the parts I was
required to carry permitted greater protection for the parts and me, greater
security with the view of the parts obscured with the cover.

don't dismiss size as a function of ego and pride--there are good reasons to
have a big vehicle.