[geeks] Gigabyte MB question

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu May 14 05:46:52 CDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 05:29:39PM -0700, velociraptor wrote:
> I've also heard bad things about the Windows tool for upgrading the
> BIOS.  Iirc, the tweaktown forum folks (very helpful people on there
> if you need over-clocking assistance) recommend using the DOS method
> via boot floppy, cd or USB key.

One other thing to be aware of - with some Gigabyte boards, when chosing
the BIOS backup option from the BIOS menu, the backup gets stored on a
reserved area of the first HD. This is really nasty and a bitch to get rid
of - I ended up using one of the tools on Bart's boot CD site[1] to remove the
reserved area. Other than that, I'm very happy with the two systems I have
with EP35-DS3R boards.

[1] http://www.nu2.nu/bootablecd/

-mj
--