[geeks] TNT HD

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed May 13 11:31:55 CDT 2009

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:11:57PM -0400, Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: Jeff Cole <jeff at flambe.org>
> "
> " On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:33:28AM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> " > I hate TNT HD.  It's the only channel I get audio sync problems with on
> " > my new TV.
> "
> " I've noticed that too. It's usually a 1/2 second off or so. Annoying.
>
> a friend of mine says there's a major bug in the dtv spec - no way to
> auto sync audio and video in the decoder.  you can't do it at the head
> end; different receivers have different delays in the various d/a
> chains.

If ther receiver does not have the same latency for both the audio and
video paths, that is a flaw in the receiver or reciever setup, and not a
flaw in the DTV spec.

There also exist encoder boxes that don't keep things in sync.  This is
the encoders fault then though, not DTV.

Then there are 1001 places where human error can cause sync problems.

The DTV spec may not be perfect, but it isn't to blame for sync
problems.