[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed May 13 07:59:12 CDT 2009

" From: Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" On May 12, 2009, at 10:29 , Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" >
" > my gf's '01 cherokee has just passed 150k and is still snug and
" > purring.  the only problem it's had - it has power everything, and the
" > wires in the driver's door are starting to flex-fracture.  based on
" > what i've heard about cherokees, i wouldn't be surprised at another
" > 100k before it needs any serious attention.
"
" Jeep went to hell when Chrysler bought them.  I'm kinda surprised
" she's having little trouble, but maybe the Cherokee that year was OK.

i haven't heard anything of that sort, though jeep models have gotten
progressively worse.  nb. the xj cherokee, yj wrangler, and zj
original grand chero were all amc/jeep designs; the zj was supposed
to replace the xj but it was selling too well.  the tj wrangler seems
to be the only 'good' mopar jeep, but it was not a major redesign of
the yj.

major stupidity when someone new came on board and axed the xj b/c it
was 'old'.  it was still selling very well and the liberty is heavier,
more complex, and less reliable.  poorer mileage too.

morbidly amusing to see the commander reviving the look of the cherokee
- but a ton heavier.

" A friend has the Wrangler and it's not as good as the CJ, but it is
" holding up OK.  Fuel efficiency is staggeringly bad, but it wasn't
" bought for that.

yeah, the wrangler has the aero of a barn door.  the cherokee is
better, neither great nor abysmal.  we got 23 coming back from nc/va
to boston, which is 2 more than epa spec for it.  folks with the 5sp
have gotten 25.  a diesel would jump mileage well into the 30s but the
swap wouldn't pay off for a long time.

" Everyone else I know can't keep a Jeep running for 100K miles without
" major repairs.

not the general experience around here...

" I like power windows and locks, but the rest is just on my car because
" it was not optional.
"
" I got the lowest end version of my car because the high end features
" like auto climate and other stuff actually annoyed me, and it's just
" more stuff that might break.  Other things like leather seats you can
" always add later.

fewer toys, fewer things to break.

i don't like p/w b/c you need to put the key in just to close them,
besides being another toy to break.  i may also be influenced by my
height and reach.

" Also, frequently the electronic toys are idiotically tied into the
" head unit, so it becomes a pain when you upgrade your stereo, and in
" many cases you lose those expensive goodies.
"
" I think it is bloody stupid for auto makers to do that.

they got you to shell out for it in the first place.  that's all they
care about.  this is also why a lot of useless 'features' have become
std.

could be they're trying to apply the ms customer philosophy and keep
you prisoner, or at least punish you for 'escaping'.

" The only regret is that I did not get the traction control system.  It
" would have saved me a bit on car insurance.
" []
"
" I think it is bloody stupid that you can't add it later: all the parts
" are there.

you might be able to do it yourself with a little research and
junkyard trawling.  i'm replacing the idiot light instrument cluster
in my '94 cherokee with a full gauge one.  i discovered that the ecm
and wiring are all the same; all it needs is the water temp and oil
press senders.  everything just plugs in.

" Well, don't forget that most Hondas are made in the USA, along with
" quite a few Toyotas.

subaru and bmw are 2 others.

" You can make good cars in the USA, it's just the big three that can't/
" won't.

note especially how toyota turned gm's fremont ca plant around when
nummi was formed in the '80s.  gm had a front row seat for it and
still couldn't learn the lesson.