[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed May 13 00:39:08 CDT 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 10:29 , Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
> "
> " []
> "
> " At this point I've essentially given up on US-built
> " cars altogether.  There is not a single US-built car on the market
> that
> " meets my functional needs and my standards for drivability, build
> " quality and - for lack of a better term - rationality of cabin
> fitting
> " and controls, at a price I'm willing to pay, and most vehicles
> coming
> " out of Detroit, Dearborn and Flint are ugly anyway.
> "
> " []
> "
> " I expect the Volvo to still be working fine when it hits 200,000
> miles;
> " the Intrepid was a worn-out lemon at 98,000.  My wife is driving a
> " Mercedes C230 that I bought used in California for $11,000; it's
> about
> " to pass 200,000 miles and is still perfectly sound.
>
> my gf's '01 cherokee has just passed 150k and is still snug and
> purring.  the only problem it's had - it has power everything, and the
> wires in the driver's door are starting to flex-fracture.  based on
> what i've heard about cherokees, i wouldn't be surprised at another
> 100k before it needs any serious attention.

Jeep went to hell when Chrysler bought them.  I'm kinda surprised
she's having little trouble, but maybe the Cherokee that year was OK.

A friend has the Wrangler and it's not as good as the CJ, but it is
holding up OK.  Fuel efficiency is staggeringly bad, but it wasn't
bought for that.

Everyone else I know can't keep a Jeep running for 100K miles without
major repairs.

> as for ugly, i find it harder to see any car as either ugly or
> beautiful as time goes on, only more or less useful/practical.  in
> that respect, i find the proliferation of electronic features to be
> neither practical or useful.  i don't even like power steering.

I like power windows and locks, but the rest is just on my car because
it was not optional.

I got the lowest end version of my car because the high end features
like auto climate and other stuff actually annoyed me, and it's just
more stuff that might break.  Other things like leather seats you can
always add later.

High end factory stereos are a waste of money because even a mid-range
aftermarket will usually put them to shame.

Also, frequently the electronic toys are idiotically tied into the
head unit, so it becomes a pain when you upgrade your stereo, and in
many cases you lose those expensive goodies.

I think it is bloody stupid for auto makers to do that.

The only regret is that I did not get the traction control system.  It
would have saved me a bit on car insurance.  Of course, one thing I've
noted is that my car sticks to the
road very well, and you generally have to do very stupid things even
in the rain to make it go off-track.

However, it was only a $500 option, and I really should have gotten it.

I think it is bloody stupid that you can't add it later: all the parts
are there.