[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue May 12 07:49:30 CDT 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I have a hard time spending that much money, and I drove a lot of
> cars.  I didn't like most of them to be honest.  Very few cars
> impressed me that much.
>
> By last fall 2008 I did have a small list of acceptable cars that fit
> my budget, but it turns out that choosing among them was much harder
> narrowing the choices down to them in the first place.

I know the feeling.  At this point I've essentially given up on US-built
cars altogether.  There is not a single US-built car on the market that
meets my functional needs and my standards for drivability, build
quality and - for lack of a better term - rationality of cabin fitting
and controls, at a price I'm willing to pay, and most vehicles coming
out of Detroit, Dearborn and Flint are ugly anyway.

I bought a used Volvo this time around, and expect to replace it with
another one when it eventually fails at probably twice the probable
service life of anything built by the Big Three.  We bought it with
91,000 miles on it and minor cosmetic blemishes, to replace a Dodge
Intrepid R/T (the only Intrepid version with acceptable handling) with
98,000 miles on it that had trouble getting up our street in winter with
four snow tires, had a parade of constantly recurring electrical faults
(most recently, a short in the *tail light wiring* completely disabled
the entire instrument panel and the headlight dip switch failed), had
taken to destroying its parking brake every five or six thousand miles
or so, and the rear door weatherstrips had shrunk and didn't seal the
doors any more.

I expect the Volvo to still be working fine when it hits 200,000 miles;
the Intrepid was a worn-out lemon at 98,000.  My wife is driving a
Mercedes C230 that I bought used in California for $11,000; it's about
to pass 200,000 miles and is still perfectly sound.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.