[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sat May 9 08:41:30 CDT 2009

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> I bought a new car recently because the cars that I liked used that
>> didn't suck were not much different once you calculated costs over
>> the next 5-10 years.
>>
>> I really don't have time or skills for repair work, and since I got a
>> little Japanese car, I don't expect to pay much in repair bills anyway.
>>
>> The high resale value means changing my mind is less painful than
>> some other choices.
>>
>> The cars I would have liked, really liked, even used, were well above
>> what I could afford anyway.
>>
>> The fact that my then-current car was rapidly dying also put a bit of
>> a time limit on making the purchase.

I try to avoid having time limits on any significant purchase, it
inevitably leads to a less-than-optimal decision.  That said, I bought
my last car in a hurry because the previous one was totaled in an
accident, and i am fairly happy with it.  Looking back on the situation,
if i could do it again, i probably would have bought something much
cheaper to last me a few months and give me more time to find what i wanted.

> My car is an extremely expensive-to-maintain German car.  I made a
> point of learning auto repair just so I wouldn't get screwed by a
> mechanic. I've found that I enjoy it, when I have the time.  It seems
> to me that the talents used in software and hardware debugging are
> similar to those involved in repairing cars (and other mechanisms, for
> that matter).
Well, i don't do any software or hardware debugging, but good problem
solving skills in general have many applications.  Having a good
mechanic is great when your car has a problem that allows you to still
start the car and drive it to him/her, but it doesn't help you if it has
a problem that has you stranded on a holiday, and it's awfully stupid to
be stranded and have a car towed over a very simple little problem.

An example:  A few years ago, I was leaving work early to go to a
concert, but my car wouldn't start.  A little inspection led me to
discover heavy corrosion on the starter's connectors.  Scraping the
corrosion off got me out of the parking lot at work and on my way, a
very simple fix, but had i not figured it out there in the parking lot,
it would have meant having the car towed to an unknown mechanic in an
unfamiliar town.

    -Dan Sikorski