[geeks] Virtual Machine Hosting

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 10:29:03 CDT 2009

On May 7, 2009, at 11:05 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists at groll.co.za> wrote:

> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:50:44AM -0400, Dan Sikorski wrote:
>> I've been using the v-colo service from Panix after finding out
>> about  them on this list.  (Thanks, Sridhar!)  I've been very happy
>> with the  service, and their pricing is right for my needs.  They
>> don't say  anything about using client provided VM's, but based on
>> some of the info  on their website, it sounds like they're willing
>> to work with people  that have specific needs.  I'd suggest
>> contacting them.  Although, you  didn't say what type of VM's
>> you're looking to run (Xen? VMWare?  Hyper-V?) so that might not
>> work for you.'
>
> I've been quite happily using linode for about 3 or 4 years, and pay
> about $20 pm for a VPS. Is that what you're thinking of though Lionel?
>
> You get a xen vm, and can choose from assorted base installs of Linux
> distributions (eg. starting from a minimal debian install). Not sure
> how or why you'd want to start with your own VM image. Being root on
> your VPS you can install whatever you like, and host whatever you like
> too.
>
> The Panix V-Colo options do look to be ever so slightly better in
> terms of price (and they offer netbsd), but I'm quite comfortable with
> the linode dashboard and have little incentive to move.
>
> Of course, what we all need is Mr Bill to put one of his big bad
> servers into a datacenter and rent out VMs to us...

You know, a proper VM host (to my mind) wouldn't take a 'big bad'
server, two quad core CPUs, 8 Gigs of RAM, and a RAID 1 terrabyte
array can be had for under one grand, and could host a bunch of 512
Meg RAM VMs...

Of course, you are giving up redundant PS and spiffy rack form factor,
but that's a lot of computin' for under a grand...

Lionel