[geeks] Virtual Machine Hosting

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Thu May 7 10:05:02 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:50:44AM -0400, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> I've been using the v-colo service from Panix after finding out about
> them on this list.  (Thanks, Sridhar!)  I've been very happy with the
> service, and their pricing is right for my needs.  They don't say
> anything about using client provided VM's, but based on some of the info
> on their website, it sounds like they're willing to work with people
> that have specific needs.  I'd suggest contacting them.  Although, you
> didn't say what type of VM's you're looking to run (Xen? VMWare?
> Hyper-V?) so that might not work for you.'

I've been quite happily using linode for about 3 or 4 years, and pay
about $20 pm for a VPS. Is that what you're thinking of though Lionel?

You get a xen vm, and can choose from assorted base installs of Linux
distributions (eg. starting from a minimal debian install). Not sure
how or why you'd want to start with your own VM image. Being root on
your VPS you can install whatever you like, and host whatever you like
too.

The Panix V-Colo options do look to be ever so slightly better in
terms of price (and they offer netbsd), but I'm quite comfortable with
the linode dashboard and have little incentive to move.

Of course, what we all need is Mr Bill to put one of his big bad
servers into a datacenter and rent out VMs to us...

Cheers,
Jonathan