[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed May 6 14:53:53 CDT 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On May 6, 2009, at 13:26 , Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>
>> If I want my own DNS, I can set it up.  Others can use it.  Look at
>> OpenDNS and all the others.
>
> You cannot set up your "own DNS".

Sure you can!  I'll setup a DNS server that has it's own TLD's, and you
can use it if you want.  I'll even give you your own TLD!
> You can set up your *TINY* part of the heavily centralized DNS system,
> that's all.

That's what most people do, but you could also ignore that large and
widely adopted system and start your own.
> Maybe you are forgetting that a lot of other centralized and well
> controlled servers are queried before yours are for the final
> authoritative answer.
Not if all of my hosts only look at my DNS server and not any others.
Consider a network that is not attached to the Internet at all, and uses
DNS for it's internal hosts.
> The Internet is not absolutely central or anarchic, and it isn't the
> same thing as a government anyway.  It's a machine, and machines
> operate by rules if you want them to work well.

It is people that use and operate the machines that we would be talking
about here.  The machines would serve no purpose without the people.

    -Dan Sikorski