[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed May 6 12:26:39 CDT 2009

On Wed, 6 May 2009, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> It works for me.
>
> Wait a minute, the Internet is not anarchy, far from it. We have RFCs
> that are treated as laws, a central authority that hands out IP
> addresses, and a distributed central authority that manages DNS. Where,
> exactly is the anarchy?

If I want my own DNS, I can set it up.  Others can use it.  Look at
OpenDNS and all the others.

In fact, if I wanted to serve up my own BGP advertisements, I could take
whatever IP space I wanted.  Bam, there, I own Apple's Cupertino netblock
now.  However, only other hosts that respect my BGP broadcasts will route
that traffic to me.  Others are free to ignore me and use the routes
provided by the IANA delegated "vendor".

There's no central authority that says exactly how I have to manage mail
traffic, web traffic, or any sort of traffic.  In fact, Lotus/IBM and
Microsoft (and Cisco's PIX) frequently violate the RFCs, yet, somehow we
all work things out.

Those standards also evolved by teams of individuals trying new things, or
taking existing things and breaking them creatively.  They didn't have to
apply for permits, and they for damn sure didn't draft the RFCs before
figuring out what works and doesn't (as opposed to Congress drafting
legislation).

There's also the fact that, if I break the rules, the worst thing that
happens is that other computers have a hard time talking to mine.  Armed
men don't come to my house to kidnap me, rob me, or steal my house.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken