[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at gmail.com
Tue May 5 16:03:25 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2009 23:19:12 -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
>> I've worked for two federal government agencies as a contractor.
>
> That may not have given you a real picture of life as a government
> employee.

I believe that my time as a contractor me insight into the life of a
government IT employee at the RTC and the FDIC in the Southwest
Service Center in the mid-90s.  Closer than that I did not care to
get.

>> The government is a great place if you're into power games, minimal
>> work for maximum pay and silly rules for the sake of rules.
>
> That sounds a great deal like an entrenched bureaucracy rather than
> just government.

I did not say it was otherwise.

> And I'm not sure how government employee and maximum pay fits together
> unless the US government is _very_ different to the UK one.

GS pay was then not comparable to civilian wages.  However - and my
experience was limited to two agencies and a handful of years - the GS
staffers in IT did not work very hard, nor did they have much fear of
termination for cause or for gross negligence.

Low responsibility, low expectations, low pay.  But great job security.

There were exceptions of course.

--
Brian Dunbar
Geidus