[geeks] RFID systems?

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon May 4 05:16:41 CDT 2009

Anyone know a good source for information or parts for a RFID system.

I have to put together a proposal in the next day or so for my wife to
add RFID to her library. I'd like to have a reader (a range of a few
inches) at the desk to read ID cards (about 2k over 10 years) and books
(around 20k) for checkout.

I'd also like to have a more sensitive one at the door to read the id
cards and books as they walk through. There is a hallway about 3 feet wide
between the library and the rest of the world.

I saw a film clip on you tube where someone had a rfid read in their car
using a $600 Motorola receiver and an antenna on the window. The receiver
could have up to 4 antennas on it.

Getting something like that with a desk antenna for checkin/out and two of
the longer range antennas would be perfect. If I put one at each end of
the hallway, I can tell what books are moving, which direction they are
going and usually with whom.

I understand that if more than one person is in the hallway, I won't
be able to tell who has a book, but if one of them has it checked out,
it's probably ok, and if no one has, it's not.

I'm going to look at the manual for her library software tonight, but I
expect that I'll have to write a front end for it.

It's for her school, so sources in the US or the EU are fine.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.