[geeks] Disk ugprade in Mac Mini - worth it?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Mon Mar 30 09:07:43 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 09:37:32AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> A bit off-topic, but related, one of my favorite stores,
> MicroCenter.com is selling off the last generation Mac Mini for $399
> after rebate. These are brand-new 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 120 Gig HD &
> DVD-R/W units.

That's what I've got.

> Thought some here might be interested. Personally, I'm going for the
> current-gen, because I want hardware-assist virtualization and support
> for 4 Gigs, not just 2 Gigs as in the previous Gen.

And the last generation *does* have VT-x (I use it heavily); in addition
you can put 4G of RAM in them, but only see 3.3-3.5G of it due to chipset
address space (the normal "32bit OS and 4G RAM" problem).

Only the CoreDuo (not Core2Duo) Minis were limited to 2G of RAM.

The only reason I would even think about upgrading machines would be for
the 9400M graphics (versus GMA950), but nothing I do right now needs better
than GMA950.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford