[geeks] VOIP phone with inside/outside network

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 23 20:47:53 CDT 2009

On Mar 23, 2009, at 11:23 , der Mouse wrote:

>> I have a VOIP phone on my LAN.  It works great for calling out, but
>> no one can call me.
>
> As the principal geek behind $DAYJOB's VoIP offerings, I see that
> syndrome a lot.
>
> Is it nobody can call you _ever_?

As far as I know, yes.

> Try a very short (a few seconds)
> outgoing call; if incoming calls work for some short period after
> that,
> then the problem is almost certainly some NAT box throwing away its
> state for the flow corresponding to your SIP registration.

Today I called a coworker, and he immediately tried to call me.
Doesn't work.

> If incoming calls don't work ever, I'd have to look at the logs for
> the
> proxy through which incoming calls occur (presumably the same one
> you're registering with), or snoop traffic, to have much clue.

I'm not sure I can get access to that.

Should I have configured the NAT section in the phone's web
configuration?

Right now I'm not specifically forwarding anything because all of my
routers are supposed to support automatic forwarding and all that, but
maybe I need to make a custom rule or something like that.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com