[geeks] VOIP phone with inside/outside network

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Mar 23 10:23:48 CDT 2009

> I have a VOIP phone on my LAN.  It works great for calling out, but
> no one can call me.

As the principal geek behind $DAYJOB's VoIP offerings, I see that
syndrome a lot.

Is it nobody can call you _ever_?  Try a very short (a few seconds)
outgoing call; if incoming calls work for some short period after that,
then the problem is almost certainly some NAT box throwing away its
state for the flow corresponding to your SIP registration.  (You give
RFC1918 addresses for both your inside and outside networks, from which
I infer there's NAT involved.)  This is something that needs to be
addressed with the NAT box.  Like many protocols; SIP is designed for
use over IP, not the half-broken sorta-IP NAT imposes.  (Actually, it
works fine even through NAT; what it doesn't work through is dynamic
NAT, NAT where the mapping mutates in the short term.)

If incoming calls don't work ever, I'd have to look at the logs for the
proxy through which incoming calls occur (presumably the same one
you're registering with), or snoop traffic, to have much clue.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org