[geeks] VOIP phone with inside/outside network

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Mon Mar 23 11:21:28 CDT 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I have a VOIP phone on my LAN.  It works great for calling out, but no
> one can call me.
>
> My home LAN is really two networks.
>
> The internal network is 192.168.1/24.
>
> The "outside" network is 192.168.100/24, and that is where my WAN link is.
>
> I am using a proxy for VOIP, which I thought would take care of the
> problem, but seems not.
>
> I have found quite a few services are initially unhappy when you have
> more than one internal network.
>
> If it matters to anyone, the phone is a Polycom IP330.

Polycom 330's don't do well through NAT, they much prefer to talk to
something local.  You could load Asterisk on any tiny system or virtual
machine, even on an old Linksys Wifi router using OpenWRT or DDWRT, then
let asterisk handle the "NAT punching".

I could be wrong however the last time I checked Polycom's knowledgebase
they basically said that the firmware can't do effective NAT.

--Patrick