[geeks] ADMIN NOTE: Server upgrade soon

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Mar 18 21:21:05 CDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 8:02 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2009, at 15:42 , Joshua Boyd wrote:
>
>>> Do you know of some that are small like the SATA enclosures we've
>>> talked about here?
>>
>> An older used one, like the one sitting in my basement?
>
> Can you show me what you are talking about?  Might help me
> understand your definition of small.

It is an old 4 bay CD-ROM tower with SCSI wiring.  In my possession
it used to hold hard drives in rails, and someday I keep thinking I
might convert it to SATA.

>> Look for CD-ROM towers, either SCSI or empty meant for duplicator
>> systems.
>
> Your definition of small might be different from mine.
>
> I call those large.
>
> Those are nearly all 5.25 inch units with a lot of depth (empty
> space) and wide as a PC.
>
> I just got rid of some of those so that's not what I'm after.

I see.  Most of the external SATA towers I see are like the 4 bay CD-
ROM tower with a hot swap tray instead of the CD-ROMs.  Now I can't
picture what it is that you are looking for.