[geeks] One, two, three, panic!

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 20:21:45 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke
<jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>>> ZFS root is very nice.  If you have the time to try it, you should take
>>> it.  It is extremely simple to setup.  Just select the ZFS root option
>>> during the install, then after the install attach the second disk to
>>> the first one as a mirror.  One extra step instead of many extra steps
>>> to set up.
>>
>> According to Francois, it'll auto mirror by just selecting two disks to
>> setup on.  This really sounds like a win to me.
>
> I can vouch for what Francois said.  I was delighted that Solaris (for
> once) DTRTed without any additional prodding.  Select ZFS for your root
> FS, and point it at two identical drives, and it'll assume you want a
> mirror.

This is what zpool status shows about my rpool on my v480, all I did
was select the two internal FC-AL drives at install time (text mode in
order to select zfs):
config:

        NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror      ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t1d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

It is better to do it this way, else you end up having to deal with a
non bootable mirror. This is  bug # 6668666. You can check Sun
documentation here for the workaround (there is one for x86 and for
sparc):

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-5245/ghgph?a=view

Francois