[geeks] ADMIN NOTE: Server upgrade soon

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Mar 17 15:46:41 CDT 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 16:01 , Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 03:42:30PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Sorry.
>> Zipzoomfly had the WD black TB HD for $100-110 yesterday...
>
> NewEgg has it for $109.
>
> Ended up ordering the RE3 "Raid Edition" enterprise version of the
> Caviar
> Black after all:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136313
>
> Looks like I got the last one, as the page no longer lets you order
> it.
>
> I'm looking at external 1U eSATA enclosures now, but they're all too
> darn
> pricey ($300ish).  Don't want to trust my data to something that
> runs off
> a wall brick.

I'm running into that issue myself right now.

I really hate wall warts for power and don't want my drives powered
that way, but the only things I'm finding are really expensive.

Years ago I had a 4-drive rack, tower format, barely bigger than the
drives and it had perfect straight airflow, and it had a power supply
in the bottom that was small and efficient.

You can't find anything like that now.  It's all powered by wall
warts, or they are far larger than the drives they hold.

Hopefully have more time to look this week.  If I find something
interesting I'll pass it on here.