[geeks] ADMIN NOTE: Server upgrade soon

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Mar 17 15:22:37 CDT 2009

On Mar 17, 2009, at 4:06 PM, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at external 1U eSATA enclosures now, but they're all
>> too darn
>> pricey ($300ish).  Don't want to trust my data to something that
>> runs off
>> a wall brick.
>>
> Hmmmm. I know nothing. Err, know OF nothing.
>
> Where can you find a T1000 for cheap? *ponders*

Get lucky?

A little while ago there were several on ebay for $1550 (with a 4Gb
FC card, which could be resold to recoupe some of the cost), but I
don't see anything like that currently.

I wish that Sun would force the T1000 closer to what the V100s used
to be.  Maybe then they'd have enough volume to also justify using
those chips as the basis for things like the thumper, the rest of the
new 7000 series, and the honeycomb system.

Or maybe they could make a new chip that is basically a T1 with 4
cores instead of 6 or 8, and memory controller, SATA, GigE, and PCI-E
4x built into the die.  They could make a T1040 for a lower price
based on this with an entry price of $1000, and then also use it as
the core for some of their other appliance like systems.