[geeks] One, two, three, panic!

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 16 18:48:16 CDT 2009

On Mar 16, 2009, at 19:20 , Joshua Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 02:11:59PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> Planning to, but I wasn't planning on ZFS root anyway -- I
>> intentionally
>> installed mirrored boot disks completely separate from the main
>> storage
>> array.
>
> ZFS root is very nice.  If you have the time to try it, you should
> take
> it.  It is extremely simple to setup.  Just select the ZFS root option
> during the install, then after the install attach the second disk to
> the
> first one as a mirror.  One extra step instead of many extra steps to
> set up.  And there is a lot more flexibility.  Plus upgrades are
> supposed to be easier (although I haven't gotten around to trying
> that).

I have a pseudo-zfs root from the 5/08 Solaris.  I have a tiny
partition to get booted, and the rest is ZFS.  It has been nice not
having to worry about how much I allocated to /var, /home, and so on,
and the ease of backing things up from one pool to another.

However, when I upgrade to 11/08, I'll have to re-install since it
won't be compatible.

Not a big deal, because I think I will get a pair of small drives and
use ZFS mirror this time.