[geeks] Solaris RAID: Time for storage

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 13 13:45:44 CDT 2009

I am going to add a RAID to my Solaris 10 machine.

It doesn't need to be hardware RAID, I'm happy with ZFS.

I would appreciate any recommendations on decent SATA controllers that
can work with an external drive.

I don't want to run N cables for N drives, so I guess I'm looking for
esata interfaces. My only real worry is does esata have enough
bandwidth for 4-5 modern hard drives?

Of course, reliability is more important than speed, so it's probably
not a big deal.

For external cases, I'm looking for some not much larger than the
drives, so some of the ones you guys recommended recently will
probably work.  They don't need RAID support, just JBOD since ZFS will
be doing all the work.  Hopefully too that will make them cheaper.

The other issue is I'm running the 05/2008 version of Solaris 10.

I am going to upgrade to either the last Solaris 10, or maybe the
latest OpenSolaris.

I avoided OpenSolaris before because it had trouble with upgrades and
a few other things, but it seems much improved over the last year.
It's moving pretty fast it seems.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com