[geeks] 1080P LCD HDTVs for use as monitor?

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 03:06:18 CDT 2009

On 12 Mar 2009, at 21:24, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> Right now Costco has 2x 40" 1080P "Sceptre" brand HDTVs as a "two
> pack"
> for $1099.99 .

Okay this is all just opinion and based on the fact I've never heard
of Sceptre and their website looks like it was designed by a 5-year
old in 1997 ;) Hey, they might make good quality stuff, but I don't
know that so I can't assume they do. A quick scan of reviews on NewEgg
revealed some people having issues wit htheir LCD TVs too. it would be
wise to do research before you sink 1100 buks on them...

For measure I'd suggest seeing one operating next to a 37" or 40" LG,
Samsung or Sony Bravia and make sure you see a SDTV signal upscaled on
both. Why? 70% of what makes a HDTV great is it's upscaling engine. Be
honest here, a major part of what you watch on TV is still not going
to be in 1080p HD yet, so if the upscaler is nasty so's your TV
experience. Of course, if you have a high quality HDTV compliant
receiver for your TV service that upscales for you this may be less of
an issue, but then again *it* might have a crappy upscaler in it too.
That, and the quality of LCD panels varies *hugely*, accumulating my
knowledge and that of various reviews and sets I and my dad have seen
working in stores, I'd probably say buy 1 37" LG, Samsung or Sony
Bravia. You'll probably pay more for one of those than half of  the
40" deal but i'll be a good LCD panel and return the sort of quality
you expect for the money. Plus see below, you might still be able to
afford a 1080p monitor, although it'd be tight TBH...

As for a monitor 500 USD for a 1080p LCD monitor that's probably so
big you'll have to sit the other end of the room from your computer
makes me cringe. I have a really sweet Samsung 24" LCD panel here,
HDCP compliant, 1920x1200 (so full HD, just over in fact), picture,
colour and sharpness is excellent, great contrast and the back light
is near lighthouse brightness (I think I have it on like 40% most of
the time to stop it grilling me ;o) ). How much? NewEgg sell the exact
same screen for 309USD. That's saved you 200 USD almost and the cost
of a DVI to HDMI lead. Plus it won't microwave you when you're sat at
your computer.

Just my 2 cents/5 pence.

--
Mark Benson