[geeks] freebsd and package tools

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 12 19:00:36 CDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 19:25 , Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 06:07:55PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> This is an embedded system we ship to customers, and going to the
>> latest
>> packages would likely fail because some of them no doubt depend on
>> things
>> newer than our 7.0-pre system.
>
> That's the problem with using -current (or using a system based upon a
> snapshot) - it's a moving target. Sooner or later you're going to
> reach a
> point at which project-provided binary packages are no longer
> compatible
> with your system. Best solution then is to build your own packages
> using
> the ports tree (which may or may not work for your particular
> scenario).

If we were on release-7.0, how would it be different?

Wouldn't the latest ports still be incompatible and require things
from 7.1?

One issue too is that we need the ability to rebuild a base machine in
case we lost a development/base machine and/or lose backups.

That means being able to pick a specific ISO image and install
FreeBSD, and then install the specific ports tree we've been using, in
addition to our own custom code.

I'm not sure you can pick out specific milestones with ports. It seems
all the tools I played with today just pick out the latest, and I
don't see options to get specific versions of the ports tree, except
of course the release versions.

But then I could be missing something obvious.

Originally I thought ports was something you could use on any system,
but they seem to eventually outgrow your machine.

It would be nice if cvsup had some way of knowing which versions of
the ports tree  your system could support, so it would refuse to
upgrade if it would mean forcing a base OS upgrade too.