[geeks] freebsd and package tools

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Mar 12 18:25:36 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 06:07:55PM -0400, Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> This is an embedded system we ship to customers, and going to the latest
> packages would likely fail because some of them no doubt depend on things
> newer than our 7.0-pre system.

That's the problem with using -current (or using a system based upon a
snapshot) - it's a moving target. Sooner or later you're going to reach a
point at which project-provided binary packages are no longer compatible
with your system. Best solution then is to build your own packages using
the ports tree (which may or may not work for your particular scenario).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner
mj at mjturner.net      <>  http://mjturner.net/