[geeks] fastest AMD socket 939 and 940 processors

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 11:52:24 CDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 9:43 AM, Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net>
wrote:

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>>   Were I building a desktop machine to last though, I'd look for a MB
>>   that can take at least 8 Gig of RAM, and has a good on-board SATA
>>   controller (ICH9 or better) and maybe a TPM chip on-board (for
>>   bitlocker support, though you can get around that with a USB key).
>
> Ah, yes, TPM.  "Trusted Computing".  The specification that trusts
> *everyone except you* where your own computer is concerned.

Well, I think it has merit, especially if there is a risk the drives/
system may get stolen and your info is private.

> I'd personally regard lack of "trusted computing" support as a
> feature.

I believe you can always turn it off, but you can't add the chip to
the board after you build the system (short a forklift upgrade).

Someday, someone may use the chip in a way that appeals to you - by
getting the chip you are ready for that eventuality...

Lionel